The Spectronus FTIR analyser developed out of research at University of Wollongong (UoW) and elsewhere from the late 1980s onward. A representative list of papers describing its development and subsequent applications is given below.
For a description of the analyser that evolved into the ECOTECH Spectronus:
- Griffith, D.W.T., N.M. Deutscher, C.G.R. Caldow, G. Kettlewell, M. Riggenbach and S. Hammer, A Fourier transform infrared trace gas analyser for atmospheric applications. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 2012. 5: p. 2481-2498.
- Hammer, S., D.W.T. Griffith, G. Konrad, S. Vardag, C. Caldow and I. Levin, Assessment of a multi-species in-situ FTIR for precise atmospheric greenhouse gas observations. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 2013. 6: p. 1153-1170.
For a 2006 review of FTIR measurements in atmospheric chemistry:
- Griffith, D.W.T. and I.M. Jamie, FTIR spectrometry in atmospheric and trace gas analysis, in Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, R.A. Meyers, Editor. 2006, Wiley. p. 1979-2007.
For examples of development and applications:
- Galle, B., L. Klemedtsson and D.W.T. Griffith, Application of a Fourier transform IR system for measurements of N2O fluxes using micrometeorological methods, an ultralarge chamber system, and conventional field chambers. Journal of Geophysical Research, 1994. 99(D8): p. 16,575-16,583.
- Griffith, D.W.T., Synthetic calibration and quantitative analysis of gas phase infrared spectra. Applied Spectroscopy, 1996. 50(1): p. 59-70.
- Yokelson, R.J., D.W.T. Griffith and D.E. Ward, Open path FTIR studies of large-scale laboratory biomass fires. Journal of Geophysical Research, 1996. 101: p. 21067-21080.
- Esler, M.B. and D.W.T. Griffith, Method and apparatus for measuring gas concentrations and isotope ratios in gases. US patent, 1998, University of Wollongong: Australia.
- Griffith, D.W.T. and B. Galle, Flux measurements of NH3, N2O and CO2 using dual beam FTIR spectroscopy and the flux-gradient technique. Atmospheric Environment, 2000. 34(7): p. 1087-1098.
- Esler, M.B., D.W.T. Griffith, S.R. Wilson and L.P. Steele, Precision trace gas analysis by FT-IR spectroscopy 1. Simultaneous analysis of CO2, CH4, N2O and CO in air. Analytical Chemistry, 2000. 72(1): p. 206-215.
- Esler, M.B., D.W.T. Griffith, S.R. Wilson and L.P. Steele, Precision trace gas analysis by FT-IR spectroscopy 2. The 13C/12C isotope ratio of CO2. Analytical Chemistry, 2000. 72(1): p. 216-221.
- Griffith, D.W.T., R. Leuning, O.T. Denmead and I.M. Jamie, Air-Land Exchanges of CO2, CH4 and N2O During OASIS 1994 and 1995 using FTIR Spectroscopy and Micrometeorological Techniques. Atmospheric Environment, 2002. 38(11): p. 1833-1842.
- Griffith, D.W.T., G.R. Bryant, D. Hsu and A.R. Reisinger, Methane emissions from free-ranging cattle: comparison of tracer and integrated horizontal flux techniques. Journal of Environmental Quality, 2008. 37(2): p. 582-591.
- Deutscher, N.M., D.W.T. Griffith, C. Paton-Walsh and R. Borah, Train-borne measurements of tropical methane enhancements from ephemeral wetlands in Australia. Journal of Geophysical Research, 2010. 115: p. D15304, doi:10.1029/2009JD013151.
- Burling, I.R., R.J. Yokelson, S.K. Akagi, S.P. Urbanski, C.E. Wold, D.W.T. Griffith, T.J. Johnson, J. Reardon and D.R. Weise, Airborne and ground-based measurements of the trace gases and particles emitted by prescribed fires in the United States. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 2011. 11: p. 12197-12216.
- Humphries, R., C. Jenkins, R. Leuning, S. Zegelin, D. Griffith, C. Caldow, H. Berko and A. Feitz, Atmospheric Tomography: A Bayesian Inversion Technique for Determining the Rate and Location of Fugitive Emissions. Environmental Science and Technology, 2012. 46: p. 1739-1746.
- Laubach, J., M. Bai, C.S. Pinares-Patiño, F.A. Phillips, T.A. Naylor, G. Molano, E.A.C. Rocha and D.W.T. Griffith, Testing the accuracy of micrometeorological techniques for detecting a change in methane emissions from a herd of cattle. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 2013. 176: p. 50-63.
- Phillips, R., D.W.T. Griffith, F. Dijkstra, G. Lugg, R. Lawrie and B. Macdonald, Tracking short-term effects of 15N addition on N2O fluxes using FTIR spectroscopy. Journal of Environmental Quality, 2013. 42: p. 1327-1340.
- Vardag, S.N., S. Hammer, M. Sabasch, D.W.T. Griffith and I. Levin, First continuous measurements of δ18O-CO2 in air with a Fourier transform infrared spectrometer. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 2015. 8(2): p. 579-592.
- Laubach, J., M. Barthel, A. Fraser, J.E. HuntandD.W.T. Griffith, Combining two complementary micrometeorological methods to measure CH4 and N2O fluxes over pasture. Biogeosciences, 2016. 13(4): p. 1309-1327.
- Rea, G., C. Paton-Walsh, S. Turquety, M. CopeandD. Griffith, Impact of the New South Wales fires during October 2013 on regional air quality in eastern Australia. Atmospheric Environment, 2016. 131: p. 150-163.
- Fest, B.J., N. Hinko-Najera, T. Wardlaw, D.W.T. Griffith, S.J. LivesleyandS.K. Arndt, Soil methane oxidation in both dry and wet temperate eucalypt forests shows a near-identical relationship with soil air-filled porosity. Biogeosciences, 2017. 14(2): p. 467-479.
- Waring, C.L.,S.I. Hankin, D.W.T. Griffith, M.A. Kertesz, V. Kobylski, N.L. Wilson, N.V. Coleman, G. Kettlewell, R. Zlot, M. Bosse and G. Bell, Seasonal total methane depletion in limestone caves. Nature Scientific Reports, 2017. 7(1): p. 8314.
- Flores, E., J. Viallon, P. Moussay, D.W.T. Griffith and R.I. Wielgosz, Calibration Strategies for FT-IR and Other Isotope Ratio Infrared Spectrometer Instruments for Accurate δ13C and δ18O Measurements of CO2 in Air. Analytical Chemistry, 2017. 89(6): p. 3648-3655.